Home Care Services

Find services by subject

What is a care and support need?

As you get older, after an injury or illness, or if you have a disability, you may find it more difficult to do some of the things you used to be able to do and you may find that you need additional care and support.

Please see guide to Peace of mind at home: A guide to Careline and Assistive Technology (2MB pdf).

Everyone will have different care and support needs. For example:

  • You may benefit from regular visits by a home care worker
  • You may need help to learn new methods of doing everyday tasks to make things easier
  • Equipment or telecare services may be all the support you need

Most of us want to remain as independent as possible, and want to stay living in our own homes, even if we experience difficulties due to age, health issues or a disability.

What equipment or telecare services can help me in the home?

Assistive technology, including telecare, is a range of services and equipment designed to support people's safety, while helping them to remain independent in their own homes.

Assistive technology can be a standalone piece of equipment or it can be connected to a telecare unit (like those provided with the council's Careline service) to monitor you and detect crisis situations and send an alarm when you need assistance at the earliest opportunity day or night.

Assistive technology is useful for anyone who feels vulnerable in their own home due to:

  • Age
  • Disability
  • Early stages of dementia
  • High risk of falling
  • Having just come out of hospital

It's of particular value to those living alone who wish to remain living independently in their own home with some additional reassurance.

Telecare equipment can monitor you and your home for problems and give warnings - for example, in the following situations:

  • A fall
  • Smoke
  • Extreme heat
  • Flooding

Using assistive technology can:

  • Help you remain independent for as long as possible
  • Prevent accidents and reduce risks in and around your home
  • Help you avoid having to go into hospital or residential care
  • Enable you to be discharged from hospital more quickly
  • Help improve your wellbeing
  • Reduce the stress/anxiety of a carer, which will improve their wellbeing
  • Help you feel safe and not isolated

Most of the assistive technology equipment needs to be linked to the Careline monitoring service, which has a small weekly charge of between £3.25 - £5.35 (excluding VAT) when the equipment is linked to an active telephone to an active telephone line or a weekly charge of £5.35 - £6.85 (excluding VAT) when the equipment uses a SIM card instead of an active telephone line.

There is currently no charge for assistive technology equipment provided by the council and is only available from us following a care and support assessment by the Adult Care Service. To request and assessment you can complete an online referral on the Stay Well website

What is the Careline service?

If you're at risk of falling, or live alone and want some help to stay living independently in your own home, you may benefit from having Careline installed.

Careline includes a pendant or wrist strap with a built-in alarm button. When you press the alarm button, you're automatically connected to a control centre operator. The operator can speak to you through a Careline unit linked to your existing telephone line. This unit also has an alarm button.

We will install the unit and alarm pendant free of charge but there is a small monthly charge for the service.

What happens if I press the alarm button in an emergency?

If you require assistance and press your alarm, the operator at the control centre will try to speak to you to find out what has happened. The operator can get instant access to your personal details, including a brief medical history and nominated contact details.

If you need help, the operator will contact one of your nominated contacts - a friend or relative - but in an emergency situation the ambulance, police or fire services will be sent right away.

Careline Plus/Support at home

The Careline Service can be enhanced by the Careline Plus Service which works in exactly the same way as Careline, but also includes a 'mobile responder' as a nominated contact. This means that a mobile warden will come to your home in an emergency - for example, if you've fallen and can't get up.

If you choose the Careline Plus option, we'll need to install a secure keysafe outside your home with a set of your keys in it.  If you're in difficulty and have triggered an alarm, the mobile warden will be able to gain access to your property.  They will access the keys in the keysafe by using a code number. We provide and fit a police approved keysafe free of charge as part of the service.

How much does it cost?

There is a small weekly charge of between £3.25 - £5.35 (excluding VAT) when the equipment is linked to an active telephone line or a weekly charge of £5.35 - £6.85 (excluding VAT) when the equipment uses a SIM card instead of an active telephone line

If you think you would benefit from the Careline or Careline Plus Service you can request more information, or arrange for the equipment to be fitted by Rochdale Council's Home Improvement Agency. 

Telephone: 01706 926671 

Email: careline@rochdale.gov.uk.

Can I get financial support towards my home care costs?

If you would like to see if you may be able to receive financial support from Rochdale Council you can use the financial calculator on Rochdale Council website which will give you some guidance.

How can I request a care and support assessment from Rochdale Council?

To make sure you applying for support from the correct council, enter your postcode on GOV.UK

If you are aged 18 years or over you can complete a request for care and support by completing a self-assessment on the Rochdale Stay Well website.

Contact us

Rochdale Adult Care

Telephone: 0300 303 8886 (Monday to Friday, 8.30am to 4.45pm)

Telephone: 0300 303 8875 (Emergency Duty Team out of hours; including bank holidays)

Email: adult.care@rochdale.gov.uk