Caring and Sharing Rochdale
We are the primary mutual aid for the BAME community in Rochdale.
Our services include:
- Mentorship services for young people.
- Signposting and support to women fleeing domestic violence.
- Drop in session for general wellbeing.
- Befriending service to women and families that are isolated or those going through hard times.
- Welcoming and support services to newcomers in the community.
- Cultural awareness program to celebrate the diversity in Rochdale.
- Food shopping and delivery to those that are shielding.
- Phone calling/chatting to those isolated to reduce the effects and pressure of mental health and depression.
How it Works
All clothing has been generously donated by the public, both new and preloved.
We accept clothing items in all sizes:
- Women’s clothing, coats and shoes
- Men’s clothing, coats and shoes
- Children’s (Girls and Boys) clothing, coats and shoes
- Infants/Toddlers (Girls and Boys) clothing, coats and shoes
- Bedding, sheets, duvets, pillows and bath towels
- Baby equipment, safety gates prams, cots and sterilizers
We can take pre-loved clothes as well as new ones, however we will only use clothes which are of a very high quality. Please be aware that we can only accept brand new underwear, socks and vests.
Clothes are donated to our drop-off points across the Rochdale area including Sparth Community Centre. We collect and store the clothes at our unit currently in the ex Marks & Spencer store 54 Yorkshire Street, Rochdale, OL16 1JW.
We follow all Covid-19 guidelines for health and safety. We then sort into age and gender. We work via referrals from agencies and professionals working with individuals or families, such as health visitors, midwives, social workers and others.
For each referral, we choose up to a week’s wardrobe’s worth of clothes if possible, for that person.
Where do I get the clothing once I have been referred to Caring and Sharing Charity Shop?
We currently operate for donations and collection in the charity shop - Monday to Saturday 10am to 4pm.
To date, we have helped over 100 individuals or families during COVID-19 who unfortunately experienced hardship and required emergency clothing support or supported with clothing needs, all across Rochdale.
Each bag weighs between 3-5kg, so by reusing the clothes, thousands of kg of textiles has avoided going straight to landfill. Nothing donated is wasted – what we can’t use is passed on to other charities and organisations. The very small amount of donated clothing that just can’t be reused is sent to rag merchants for recycling.
Charity Shop Volunteering Opportunities
We are seeking volunteers for the charity shop; this project offers local people living in Rochdale support with emergency clothing when experiencing hardship and crisis.
Our volunteering opportunities offer a safe and positive space to work, share skills and make a difference in our communities. Joining the Caring and Sharing Rochdale charity shop will offer a volunteering opportunity that is flexible, encouraging and provides opportunities to learn and grow.
There are various roles available and we tailor them to bring out the best in a person’s ability. Some of these include:
- Meeting and greeting referral agents and or clients
- Administration duties to help keep us organised
- Helping clients to choose their clothes
- Sorting through donations we receive
- Washing and Ironing clothes
- Making up clothing bundles for individuals and families
- Driver to collect and deliver items and equipment
- General tidying and housekeeping to keep the unit clean
If you are interested in volunteering then get in touch with us today.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org with subject matter - charity shop volunteer query.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Name of venue
- St Mary's in the Baum Church
- Venue address
2 St Mary's Gate
- OL16 1DZ
Time / Date Details
- When is it on
- Tuesdays and Fridays
- Session Information
10am to 12.30pm