Rainbow Trust Children's Charity
Rainbow Trust Children’s Charity supports seriously ill children and their families in the family home and local community. Families who have a child or young person up to the age of 18 with a life threatening or terminal condition.
We enable families to manage everyday life while caring for a sick child and to make the most of their time together. Families have complete choice about the type of support they receive wherever and whenever they need it.
Rainbow Trust pairs each family with a dedicated expert family support worker. Services are tailored to the individual needs of each family member, including the sick child, parents, siblings, grandparents and extended family. Support includes:
- Providing short breaks for the sick child and siblings, which may include drop-in groups, family days, trips out or fun activities at home.
- Spending time with the ill child at hospital or home.
- Accompanying and supporting parents and their child during clinic and hospital visits; providing transport to hospital.
- Helping maintain normality in the home by working with and caring for siblings, to ensure usual activities are continued.
- Siblings may be supported through one-to-one sessions, help getting to school or with homework, regular sibling groups and school holiday events and activities.
- Providing practical support with household chores to help families manage day to day life.
- Providing emotional support.
- Providing end-of-life care and bereavement support.
The service is for families who have a child or young person up to the age of 18 with a life threatening or terminal condition (for example cancer, some neurological conditions, babies in neonatal intensive care).
Please simply phone, email or write to us if you or someone you know would like support. Anyone can refer themselves or be referred (by a family member, friend, health, education or social care professional) provided consent from the family has been given.
Following a referral, a family support manager makes an assessment visit to discuss the family's needs, eligibility and provide information. A family support worker will then visit the family to offer the agreed support.
At times of crisis, we can arrange for support to be introduced to a family within 24 hours. An assessment visit is otherwise normally arranged within two weeks of a referral, depending on family circumstances.
Support is provided in family homes and in the community, with drop in groups at various times and venues.
Support is generally available from Monday to Friday between 8am and 6pm, frequency and duration depending on family choice and needs.
Rainbow Trust operates a 24-hour service for families in crisis, which includes a 24-hour dedicated on call number, and the possibility of extended hours of family support during weekdays and weekends.
Who to contact
Where to go
- Venue address
Chambers Business Centre
- OL8 4QQ
Address is administrative, including for referrals.