Nursery Schools and Classes
Nursery schools and classes provide early education for children aged 3 and 4 years old.
Children can start in the September following their third birthday (although some accept children throughout the year depending on numbers).
- Local Authority nursery schools take pre-school children only.
- Nursery classes are usually attached to a primary school.
Remember a place in the nursery class doesn't automatically guarantee a place at that school.
Children attend 5 morning or afternoon sessions a week during term time. Each session is for 3 hours, although some nursery classes can offer flexible hours spread across a school day.
How do I apply?
- Contact the nursery for vacancy information.
- Request an application form early in the autumn term following your child's second birthday.
Each nursery will have its own admissions policy.
Ofsted regularly inspects all nurseries, to assess their strengths and highlight areas for improvement.
- Every nursery has a Unique Reference Number (URN).
- Go to the Ofsted website and enter the URN to search for their report.