Skip to main content

Anti-Social Behaviour and Nuisance

If you're faced with abuse or noisy neighbours, vandalism or damage, report it as it can ruin lives and make whole areas feel unsafe.

We'll keep all the information you provide confidential, keep you regularly informed about progress with your case and try to put plans in place to prevent it from happening again.

Lots of agencies in the borough of Rochdale, including the council and the police, are working together to improve the lives of people living in the communities.

What we do

Rochdale Borough Council and Rochdale Boroughwide Housing recognise all tenants have a right to the peaceful enjoyment of their home. Equally, every tenant has the responsibility not to interfere with their neighbour's right to the peaceful enjoyment of their home.

  • We recognise left unchallenged, antisocial behaviour can have a significant negative impact on the lives of our residents.
  • We'll make use of the powers, orders and mechanisms available to us to deal with antisocial behaviour.
  • We'll participate in joint working with partner agencies.
  • We'll place victims and witnesses at the centre of our procedures.

What anti-social behaviour means

Antisocial behaviour can cover a wide range of behaviour. We take a wide view of what may be considered antisocial behaviour, including acts that interfere with the peace, comfort or convenience of any person or cause or are likely to cause nuisance, annoyance or disturbance to any person. Some examples of anti-social behaviour include:

  • Damaging property.
  • Verbal abuse and insults.
  • Intimidation, using or threatening violence.
  • Racial harassment.
  • Nuisance from pets such as dogs barking.
  • Noise nuisance.

How to report Anti-Social Behaviour and Nuisance?

Complaints can be made online, in person, in writing, by telephone, by email or through a third party, for example through a councillor, friend or relative.

Complaints can also be made anonymously, however this may restrict the amount of investigation and action we can undertake and won't allow us to provide the complainant with information and support. We would recommend therefore, complainants give us their name and address. This will not be revealed to any other party without the consent of the complainant.

To report anti-social behaviour please see the Rochdale council website (external link).

Noise nuisance

We can normally resolve noisy neighbour disputes amicably by being a diplomatic negotiator on your behalf. We do have the powers to prosecute individuals and organisations or seize equipment under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 if needed.

What noise problem you can report

You can report a one-off incident or continuous problems with any of the following:

  • Animal noises, such as dog barking or cockerels.
  • Loud music, arguments or burglar alarms.
  • DIY renovations. Noise is allowed Monday to Friday 8am to 6pm, Saturday 9am to 2pm. You can report noise from renovations outside of these hours, including all day Sundays and bank holidays.
  • Construction or demolition sites.
  • Ice cream van music before midday or after 7pm.
  • Noise from pubs, bars, clubs or businesses.
  • Fireworks taking place between 11pm and 7am. Except on Bonfire Night when noise is allowed up to midnight and New Year's Eve, Diwali and Chinese New Year when noise is allowed up to 1am.

To report noise nuisance please see the Rochdale council website (external link).

Who to contact

0300 303 8878
Report antisocial behaviour and nuisance

Where to go

Name of venue
Rochdale Community Safety Unit
Venue address
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
OL16 1XU

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 5.30pm
Back to top