Skip to main content

Transitions for Young People (Children's Care Service to Adult Care Services)

When we talk about transition for children and young people with a physical or learning disability, we mean the change from being a teenager to being an adult and from moving on from Children's Care Service to Adult Care Services.

How old will a young person be when they start the transition?

In Rochdale Borough a team called the ‘Younger Adults Team' will support younger people in their preparation for adulthood from the age of 14 in order to make sure the move from Children's Care to Adult Care Services is as smooth as possible.

The team may continue to work with the young person up until they reach the age of 25 (sometimes even longer), but will they can also end their involvement earlier if the young person's care and support arrangements are settled.

What happens during the transition period?

Rochdale Council's younger adults team may combine a transition assessment with any other assessment being carried out (provided everyone agrees). For example, if a hospital is carrying out an assessment, the younger adults team can carry out their assessment at the same time. This is known as a ‘Joint Assessment'.

Transition assessments could also become part of the young person's Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plan. During the transition period young people can experience a lot of changes in many areas of their lives.

These changes may include:-

  • Leaving education.
  • Thinking about getting a job or work experience/apprenticeships.
  • Changes to their benefits and finances.
  • Moving into new accommodation.
  • Changes to health and medical services.
  • Changes in any social care and support.
  • Changes to personal relationships.

This is a time when young people gain new rights and responsibilities. The transition into adulthood can be an exciting time for young people, full of new opportunities; however it can also be a worrying time as some young people may move on from familiar people and places and can face new challenges.

Is there a charge for adult care and support services?

Some adult care services may have to be paid for, but the actual amount you pay will depend on what services you receive. You may be able to get help with the costs and we will help you fill out a financial assessment form to see if you qualify for financial help.

We may provide or arrange services for you but there are other ways of getting the support you need. You can choose to have a Cash Budget and use the money that you receive from the Council to arrange your own care and support.

Who to contact

0300 303 8886
0300 303 8875 (out of office hours)

Where to go

Name of venue
Rochdale Adult Care
Venue address
Number One Riverside
Smith Street
OL16 1XU

Time / Date Details

When is it on
Monday to Friday 8.30am to 4.45pm

Local Offer

Local Offer Ages
16-18 (Transitions into Adulthood)
18-25 (Young Adults)
Last Updated: 05/08/2022
Back to top